Introduction of Pharmacopoeia:
Pharmacopoeia has been the authoritative organization working to ensure the consistency and quality of medicines.
Pharmacopoeia is the formulation of drugs. It is the standard book for preparation of drugs.
The book is published in a country under the authority of its own government.
Pharmacopoeia is derived from Greek word
Pharmakon – Drugs
Copoeia – Means to make
Type of Pharmacopoeia / List of Pharmacopeia
• We cannot call it a specific type because every country has a own Pharmacopoeia.
• Noteskarts will discuss Pharmacopoeia of some countries. First of all, let’s know about our Indian Pharmacopoeia. When did this book become public, Which edition of it is running now?
United States Pharmacopoeia
- The Indian Pharmacopoeia is published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia commission (IPC) on behalf of the ministry of health and family welfare Government of India.
- Bengal Pharmacopoeia 1844 – But this book was not made public, just this name was kept.
Legal and official book published by IPC-1945.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia Headquarter – Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh)
Indian Pharmacopoeia commission (IPC) regulated by Ministry Of Health And Family Welfare.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia is written in English and official title of monographs given in Latin.
- The Indian Pharmacopoeia is being processed to fulfill the requirement in the Drug And Cosmetics Act 1940 and rules 1945.
In 1946 the government of India published the Indian Pharmacopoeia list which served as the suppliment to British Pharmacopoeia.
After publication of list the government of India constituted a parmanent Indian Pharmacopoeia committee in 1948.
Indian Pharmacopoeia committee under chairmanship of Dr. B.N. Ghosh published First Edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia in 1955.
(Dr. B.N. Ghosh professor of pharmacology. R.Gkar medical College Kolkata who died 1958. After Dr. B.N. Ghosh, Dr. B Mukerji Director Central Drug Research Institute Lucknow (CDRI) was appointed as chairman of the Indian Pharmacopoeia committee.)
Second Edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 1966. Supplement to this edition was published in 1975.
(On 30 June 1978 the Indian Pharmacopoeia committee was reconstituted by the government of India Ministry Of Health and Family Welfare) under the Chairmanship Dr. Nityanand Directer of Central Drug Research Institute Lucknow (CDRI).
Third Edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 1985. This Pharmacopoeia include two Addendum with two Volumes.
Addendum (Volume-1) to Indian Pharmacopoeia published in 1989. They contain legal notice prephase acknowledgement, Introduction, General notice and monographs from A to P.
They contain 46 new monographs added and 126 amended.
Addendum (Volume-2) was published in 1991 contain monographs from Q to Z and they contain 62 new monographs added and 110 amended.
Fourth edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 1996 under the chairmanship of Dr. Nityanand.
In Fourth edition addendum from veterinary product in 2002, 2005 and supplement volume-1 A to P, Volume-2 Q to Z.
The veterinary supplement to Indian Pharmacopoeia 1996 contain 208 monographs.
Fifth Edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 2007 and addendum to this edition was published in 2008.
Fifth Edition Indian Pharmacopoeia is presented in three (3) Volume.
Volume-1st contains general notices and general chapters.
Volume-2nd contains general monographs on Drugs substances Dosage forms and Pharmaceutical Aids.
Sixth edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 2010.
The 6th edition of the Indian Pharmacopoeia 2010 is published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia commission (IPC).
The Indian Pharmacopoeia 2010 is presented in 3 volumes.
Volume-1st contains the notices, Preface the structure of the IPC, Acknowledgements, Introduction and the general chapters.
Volume-2nd contains the General notice, monographs on Dosage forms and monographs on Drug substances, dosage forms and
- Pharmaceutical Aids (A to M).
- Volume-3rd contains monographs on Drug substances, dosage forms and Pharmaceutical Aids (N to Z) followed by monographs on Vaccines and Immunosera for human use.
- Herbs and Herbal products. Blood and blood related products biotechnology product and veterinary products.
The seventh edition of the Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 2014 by the Indian Pharmacopoeia commission (IPC) on behalf of the Government Of India Ministry Of Health And Family Welfare.
The Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 is presented in four Volumes.
The Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 incorporates 2550 monograph of drugs out of which 577 are new monographs consisting of APIs, Excipients, Dosage forms and herbal products etc.
The Eight edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia was published in 2018 by the IPC on behalf of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Indian Pharmacopoeia 2018 salient features-
• Incorporating with 4 volume.
• 220 New monographs
• 170 New chemical monographs
• 49 API
• 64 Formulation
• 53 Fixed dose formulations
• 02 Excipients
• 02 Antibiotics
• 15 New herbs and Herbal products monographs
• 03 New Radiopharmaceutical monographs.
• 14 New veterinary Non-biological monographs.
• 18 New Biological monographs:-
• 02 Vaccines and Immunosera for human use
• 06 Biotechnology derived therapeutic products.
• 10 Blood and Blood related products.
Addendum / Supplement
D. B.N. Ghose
Dr. B. Mukherjee
Nabi Azad (Health Minister)
Dr. C.K. Mishra
United States Pharmacopoeia (USP)
Introduction to United States Pharmacopoeia :
The United States Pharmacopoeia has been authoritative organization working to ensure the constituency and quality of medicine and vitamin.
USB United States pharmacopeia standards are recognised by the FDA as the standard for testing vitamins and medicines against, ensuring quality products that contribute to public health and wellness.
Type : Nonprofit
Founded : 1820; 201 years ago
Headquarters : North Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Key people : Ronald T. Piervincenzi (CEO)
Website : www.usp.org
British Pharmacopoeia (BP)
Introduction to British Pharmacopoeia:
British Pharmacopoeia was published by the Health ministry of the United Kingdom.
In is also known as National Pharmacopoeia of the United Kingdom.
Headquarters : London, United Kingdom
- British Pharmacopoeia Contains approximately 3100 manographs for substances, preparations, and articles, used in practice.
- It has been made effective from 1st January 2008.
- British Pharmacopoeia 2007 – 2009 were given in Six Volumes